Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Buttercup

The leaves in this image belong to the Creeping Buttercup (Ranunculus repens). There are many types of buttercups and other Ranunculus species. They are often included in lists of plants that are poisonous to rabbits but their acrid taste means the plants are usually left uneaten. In other species, poisoning can occur where buttercups are all that is left in overgrazed fields and the animals eat them out of desperation. No cases of toxicity in rabbits have been reported. The toxic principle is protoanemonin, which is released when the plant is crushed. It is a volatile, bitter, yellow oil that is prone to spontaneous polymerization to yield innocuous anemonin. Protoanemonin is degraded by drying, so hay containing dried buttercups is safe.